Sunday, November 28, 2004

The Future of Teachers

Over Thanksgiving I was discussing with my family members what my plans for the future are. I told them that I wanted to teach high school, splitting my classes between history and health and maybe even one culinary class. Then they asked where I wanted to teach and I said I didn't really care. They then proceeded to inform me that I should not teach in Washington (my home state) because of the legislation laws against teachers there. Apparently my aunt who has taught 4th grade for 15 years just got some of her benefits revoked for her family including medical and dental coverage. Plus she is making really low money, even though she has been teaching for so many years and unfortunately she has reached her salary cap for education. My uncle was very outraged at this and it started to make me think about why the government would do such a thing. I mean it only makes since to me that teachers should get paid reasonably well. I mean let's face it they are brain surgeons however they are educating the future doctors, lawyers, and business men of America. Shouldn't they get something for their efforts and their commitment to making this country a wiser place. I know that many of you agree with me but I just wanted to get my opinion out there and vent a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home